Re: [NTLK] Why Isn't Everyone Excited with Eckhart's Bluetooth?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 21:15:15 PST

I was in on Bluetooth back in the mid 90s when the
protocol was being hammered out. In fact, I was part
of the approval board on the Ericcson side of things
and had some early bluetooth items to play around with
for a while. The problem is that it took so long and
there was so much arguing on this that by the time
2000 rolled around, I had gotten tired of waiting for
bluetooth to solve a problem that didn't exist in the
first place and began solving my wireless issues with
802.11 and x-10 devices. As it is now, I'm almost
using up an entire c-block of IPs just for the
components I'm using in my house! (ok, ok...not quite
255 IPs, but I think I'm amost up to 150 IPs that are
actively deployed!) This includes wireless Mp3
players, cameras, home monitoring and alarm
systems...heck, I even have automated window blind
control...all from a secure web interface on a vlan,
and all done with 802.11b and x-10 devices (And if it
wasn't for my Watchguard Firebox firewall, I wouldn't
have even thought of putting this on the web...)
So, while I applaud Eckhart for his work in keeping
the Newt on the cutting edge of technology, it's just
not in the direction I'm going...and I just purchased
a new cellphone...the Nextel i730...and nope, no
bluetooth and no irda...sorry!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- David Deranian <deranian_at_mac.com> wrote:
> Hello All-
>
> This post is a few weeks old from Eckhart but I have
> to respond. Now,
> either I'm a weirdo, or the people on this list are
> half asleep. In my
> opinion, Blunt could be the next killer app for
> Newton. As an avid user
> of a Sprint PCS Merlin card on my Titanium
> Powerbook, I can't tell you
> how fantastic it is to have the ability to connect
> to the Internet
> remotely from where ever I happen to be. NO Wi-fi or
> Starbucks
> required! Now, to have that same capibility with my
<snip>
> 1) How many people here would be thrilled to have
> this functionality on
> their Newton?
> 2) How many people here already own a Bluetooth
> enabled phone?
> 3) How many people would buy or upgrade their
> current cell phone to
> Bluetooth to get this capability?
>
> Thanks, and let's all show as much support to
> Eckhart as possible for
> all his great work.
>
> Regards,
> -David

> ------------
> On Nov 25, 2003, at 4:17 PM, Eckhart Köppen wrote:
>
> > the first release of Blunt, the Bluetooth stack
> for the Newton is
> > ready. It contains already everything which should
> be in the final
> > version, but might not work properly or at all -
> crashes and reboots
> > are to be expected. Still, I'm currently using it
> to connect via PPP
> > and a Nokia 3650 and to send some data back and
> forth.
> --
> David Deranian
> Digital Arts & Sciences, Inc.
> Communication Arts
> for the Digital Age
>
> --
> This is the NewtonTalk list -
> http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquiries
> List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms:
> http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html
> Official Newton FAQ:
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/

=====
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown"
               -Darph Bobo, Tripping the Rift