Re: [NTLK] NetGear MR814 with Wired Connection

From: Norman Palardy (palardyn_at_shaw.ca)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 23:59:02 PST

On 16-Dec-03, at 12:33 AM, Eric Schneck wrote:

> I am having a problem connecting my Newt to the Internet. I am going
> wireless at home. I have received my router (a NetGear MR814) and am
> awaiting delivery of my network card (an Orinoco Silver).
> In the meantime, I am trying to connect using the wired network card
> that I
> currently have in my Newton. The card is a 3Com 3C589D, and worked
> perfectly on AppleTalk using just a hub to connect to my PowerBook.
> (The
> Newt has also successfully worked connecting to the Internet via my
> cell
> phone).
> Now, with the router installed, I cannot connect to NCU via AppleTalk,
> and I
> cannot connect to the Internet using either DHCP or manual settings. I
> know
> that this list has had a lot of messages about successfully using the
> NetGear router with the Orinoco card on the Newt, but has anyone
> successfully set up a wired connection with this router?

Yes.
I simply changed my settings to not get a DHCP address and just use one
that I had set to not be given out by the DHCP server on the 814 and it
worked fine for me.
Have used NCU over Appletalk with it as well.

But, both ends are wired.

I know someone mentioned that the 814 didn't seem to bridge Appletalk
between the wired and wireless segments. I can't confirm this

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html