Re: [NTLK] Thoughts on using the newton for large creative projects...

From: RAParker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 12:22:02 PST

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 11:09 AM, Rhonda Hyslop wrote:
> my entire NaNoWriMo submission on my Newton - 50,000 words of
> fiction.

Very impressive to say the least.

> although it made me realise my battery is starting
> to go. I had to recharge every two days instead of every 5 as I did a
> couple of years ago when I was making equally heavy use of my Newton
> taking notes in class.

I like 2100mah NiMH with an external quick charger. I get pretty consistent
usage with no memory effect. I keep two sets plus an extra Newton NiCad
battery pack for convenience.

> Unfortunately, it consistently failed miserably on the quotes around
> dialogue. I ended up using the caret punctuation menu to open quotes the
> majority of the time, because it turned out to be faster to wait for all
> the pending words to be translated then hit the caret than trying to
> write the quotes then go back and correct them when the Newt messed up.
> It would interpret them as "11", "k", "K", or various other incorrect
> letters, or a combination of the incorrect interpretation of the quotes
> with the word immediately afterward which gave me completely nonsensical
> words. Or sometimes it would interpret the quote as a double-tap, then
> I'd have to pause, close the keyboard, put the caret back where it
> belonged, and keep going.

I would recommend Hilite2000 v1.2 for Newton OS2.1. I took the chance and
loaded it on my 120 a while back and it has some very impressive features
for writers. Upon highliting a word, line or paragraph, it will
automatically pop up with a keyboard like window with a full list of
options. You can cut, copy, paset, capitalize, or even enclose the
selection with quotes or parenthesis.

Ron

--
Sent using Cyberdog OpenDoc Transport for Mac OS
--
   |\ | @ Quadzilla.NET
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html