Re: [NTLK] [OT] Behind the Times

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 16:53:52 PST

* Matthew Reidsma <matthew_at_reidsrow.com> [17 Dec 2003 16:36]:
> Len, you are officially my hero. My wife has always found it odd that
> my Newt never leaves my side, but I hate the phone, cars, and
> television. I'm glad to find someone else in the world that doesn't
> wholly embrace technology but doesn't want to throw the baby out with
> the bathwater!

You are far from the only one out there...

I'm also a huge fan of the newton (it goes almost everywhere with me)
and a bit (*ahem*) of a computer geek... who doesn't feel the need to
buy the latest and greatest techno-toys. (Even if I do drool over some
of them on occasion.) I also hate the phone and the TV, and am a wet
blanket on my other half's gadget lust... to his simultaneous dismay and
relief :-)

I have confused a few people who can't reconcile what they see as the
"geek vs. luddite dichotomy".

Hooray for black and white thinking... you're either a geek and
therefore a technophile-gadget-loving-buy-anything-with-blinkenlights
kind of person, or you're a luddite who hates all technology including
the truly useful. It seems there's no room for somebody to like
technology when it's appropriate and dislike useless blinkenlights
techno-toys.

And I'm still not trading in my fully manual, steel bodied, film camera.
Not even for the massively drool-worthy digital SLRs...

;-)

-Rhonda

--
 www.write-on.indy || www.write-on.org   \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project