[NTLK] Unicode/special characters in folder names

From: James Buxton (bux1234567_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 18:50:33 PST

Hereıs one for those of you who like to solve thorny little problems.

My business uses the section symbol (§) in establishing codes for client
projects. For example, one clientıs project might be coded ³§989.01². (Some
of you might not be able to see this unusual symbol because of encoding
differences between my E-mail software and yours.)

Using the address book on my Newton and Now Up-to-Date on my Macintosh, I
categorize my business contacts by project name. That is, contacts on the
Newt are in project folders whose names correspond to categories in
Up-to-Date.

When I synchronize the Newt and Mac using NCU, the contacts do not end up in
their proper categories. For the synching to succeed, folder and category
names much match exactly character for character.

Knowing that the section symbol is somewhat exotic, I removed it from all
folder and category names, leaving only low-ASCII characters in the project
codes. Synching this way worked perfectly.

Using NCU to sync by selected folders reveals that NCU seems to see the
section symbol in Newt folder names not as a single character, but rather as
a character sequence representing the section symbolıs Unicode value. How
can I get NCU to see the section symbol for its ASCII value as a single
character? Would editing NCUıs character-encoding (itl0, itl1, etc)
resources help? Have I even identified the problem correctly? If not, whatıs
the problem and whatıs the solution?

Thanks anyone who can help,

Jim

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html