Re: [NTLK] Reset question

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 21:46:47 PST

>Dan wrote:
>> Here is the a question, if you reset using a
>> package does it do the same thing by reseting the
>> power manger or does it reset by other means?
> I don't think so. Apple lists several kind of resets in the manual. I
think all a software reset does in power the Newt down and force a reload of
packages. Pressing the reset button does that, plus resetting the power
manager.

Which manual? I thought they only listed two, reset and brain wipe.

>> And if they do the same thing, how about
>> pulling the batteries in a 2000?
> If the Newt is asleep when you pull the battery it shouldn't notice
since the capacitor is maintaining the machine state. If you sleep the Newt
with a note open, change the battery and unsleep the Newt the note should
still be open.
> If you pull the battery with the Newt awake all manner of nastiness is
possible.

>Peter

Nope I would never do it with it on (I come from the old school where you
never attached or disconected ANYTHING with a device powered, a lot of
things are "hot" connectable these days though). And I didn't think that
the cap would hold the state. I had thought it only held the clock and date
and if you pulled the batteries it would cause a reset. Thanks for the
info.

-Dan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html