Re: [NTLK] [OT] LCD cable question

From: Marco Mailand (N_at_abasurf.ch)
Date: Sun Feb 02 2003 - 10:45:59 PST

"Jeremy Wood" wrote @ 1.2.2003 0:36 Uhr / <woodjd_at_whitman.edu>:
> Right. The point. If I were to fashion a cable to extend the "range" of
> the LCD from one of these old brutes, would it work? A couple feet or so
> of freedom? The comments about resoldering eMates peaked my interest...
> Anybody mess around with such things? I'm afraid that the noise/power/etc
> issues with increased cable length would be a showstopper...
It is always worth to think about possible EMC problems as early as
possible. I had similar ideas in mind but I'm still missing some good
components for this project. As a prototype I wrote a GPS driver under
LabVIEW and had it running on a PB170 (or 190, I don't remember) but it was
not as promising as I hoped 5 years ago. However, here's what I concluded:
1. A plus of a self-written program is that it does what you want and could
realize in your program.
2. The screen of e.g. A PB170 is really large and convenient. You'll like
it.
3. A moving map display is nice to have but hard to realize because there's
no ready for use maps. I mean that you'll need the transformation from GPS
LON/LAT to X/Y pixel coordinates.
4. Point 3 needs more computing power, RAM and Harddisk than a PB170 will
have. Maybe a Duo or PB1400/3400 is much better.
5. Ribbon cable extension should be easily possible and its digital signals
are sort of not disturbably. However, a multiwire shielded cable would be
nice to have and easy to get as well.
6. The beast will draw 1...2 Amperes of current which will drain the car
accu within 2 or 3 days without running engine.

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!
Marco Mailand