[NTLK] Schitzo battery!!!

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 14:56:50 PST

>My Newton 2100 came with an old NiHM battery back that is really crazy.
>The first time I used it, it lasted for hours and hours. The next time, it
>bombed after about 15 minutes. Then it would only last 5 seconds before
>running out of juice. Suddenly today it's back up to going for hours. What
>gives? Anything I can do short of refurbishing the pack?

Check and clean the contacts.

Check the contacts inside the Newton's battery compartment and clean them
if required.

Try loading with another ac adapter if you have one.

If this does not help, do a full backup and a hard reset afterwards.

If the problem persists, either try using the pack in another Newton or
using your Newton with another pack.

If neither helps, I'm afraid you will have to do the rebuild, although the
way you describe things I doubt the cells themselves are the problem.

>I ordered a AA battery sled from J&K and will use 1850 mAH NiHM
>rechargeables in my Newton. Should these last longer anyway?

Yes, about 50 percent longer, Apple used 1200 mAh cells in their
packs.

Good luck!

Frank

-- Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de