Re: [NTLK] Why did Apple use a serial dongle?

From: Eric Schneck (eschneck_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 12:10:28 PST

It is not just the multiple uses of the port that led to the interconnect
design. There were also space limitations:

From a reference from NewtonDose:

http://pd.pennnet.com/Articles/Article_Display.cfm?Section=Archives&Subsecti
on=Display&ARTICLE_ID=52439

PD: The unit has a unique subminiature connector. What is it and what does
it do?

Culbert: It`s called the Newton interconnect. Originally we tried to fit an
8-pin DIN in there, but weren`t happy with the impact it had on our
low-profile enclosure. Don Porter, our mechanical engineer, chose a 16-pin
JAE Electronics (Irvine, Calif.) connector that was more suitable.

We added enough pins to it so a user would be able to use a communications
device and a keyboard simultaneously, as well as providing charging power-in
and peripheral power-out. That way, customers vertically integrating the
unit could add meaningful backpack electronics. We ended up with 26 pins.
JAE customized it for us.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html