[NTLK] Morse code questions

From: fg2_at_pda-soft.de
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 00:43:52 PST

Hi all,

this is not as off-topic as it sounds, wait and see.

Could those of you who are familiar with morse code please enlighten me
regarding the following questions? Please do it off-list, I don't want
to start
a thread that most list members will find redundant.

I am not sure if one can refer to the parts that form a character as
dots and
dashes, but I will, otherwise I wouldn't be able to phrase my questions.

Assume that I want to send a word through morse code. Further assume
that
the length of a dash is one second (I know that's long, but it makes
figuring
out the answers easier). All my "how long" questions mean "How long,
relative
to the dash".

1) How long would be the dot?

2) How long would be the silent interval between dots/dashes of a
particular character?

3) How long would the silent interval between characters be? I'd think
that for easier
reading it should be longer than the silent intervals within the
character? But maybe
these digits are sent like a string of pearls, leaving it to the
receiving person to figure
characters out?

4) How long would the silent interval between words be? I'd think that
for easier
reading it should be longer than the silent intervals between
characters? But maybe
characters, too, are sent like a string of pearls, leaving it to the
receiving person to figure
words out?

5) Is there an exclamation mark defined in morse code? If yes, what is
its code?

6) Is there a space character defined in morse code? If yes, what is
its code?
Or is there another way to signalize that a word has ended and a new one
will begin?

It appears that the "+" sign is also used to signalize "end of message".
Is this
correct, and would I put it after the period when I want to send a
single sentence?

Thanks

Frank

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html