Re: [NTLK] Need help with NCU install

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 18:34:10 PST

on 05/02/03 19:45, Karl and Kathleen Prihoda at kapri_at_cfl.rr.com wrote:

> I am having BIG problems installing NCU 1.0 on my Mac. I am running a
> 733 with OS 10.2.3. I have tried to install the file I downloaded on
> UNNA with many problems. I then ordered the CD from UNNA, and I am
> having the same problems.
>
> When I try to install the software in OSX it just hangs up at the stage
> where it say's "Preparing to install" I have to force quit the
> installer. Just quitting does not work.
>
> I then tried to install after booting into OS 9. It froze the system.
> I had do do a hard reboot and got the blinking question mark. It
> cannot find the system folder. After much headache and heartache I
> finally reinstalled the OSX software, 3 TIMES!!
>
> This is wreaking havoc on my computer. Now everything is unstable and
> I lost my palm users file.
>
> Please help!
>
> BTW I am using an MP 2000.
>
> Thanks,
> ...karl

I don't know what's going on Karl, but that's not normal. Have you tried
booting OS 9 or launching it only with Apple extensions? If not, the other
day, while trying to boot Classic on my 500 MHz G4, it would just hang at
some point. I then went to the Classic options and forced a restart with no
extension. OS 9 did then load correctly. I restarted Classic with extensions
this time and it did load properly. I don't know what was wrong, but just
starting with extensions off did the trick. No scientific explanation, but
you might want to try this. I don't think you need to reinstall OS X because
it doesn't seem to be the cause of your problem...

-Laurent.

bug-compatible adj.: [common] Said of a design or revision that has been
badly compromised by a requirement to be compatible with fossils or
misfeatures in other programs or (esp.) previous releases of itself. "MS-DOS
2.0 used \ as apath separator to be bug-compatible with some cretin's choice
of / as an option character in 1.0."
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html