Re: [NTLK] Help! - Bad Package?

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 22:05:30 PST

À (At) 20:46 -0500 5/2/03, Brian McMillan écrivait (wrote) :
>I have a 32 MB ATA compact flash card with ~ 8MB of content on two
>partitions and I am using RC4 of the ATA driver software on a MP2100.
>The problem is that when the card is mounted and begins to load
>packages, it appears that one of the packages causes the Newt to crash
>and it resets and starts over. Here is what I have done:
>- Restarted without the CF card (OK)
>- Restart w/ partition 2 packages on (OK)
>- Restarted w/ CF card extensions off (OK)
>- Power drain restart w/ CF Card (Crash)
>- Deep Reset w/ CF card (Crash)
>
>I *Really* don't want to repartition this card and start over. It looks
>like if I could remove the offending package(s), I could at least get
>another back up of my Notes Soup. As an alternative, does anyone have
>any ideas on how I could pull that one soup off?

The card is corrupted. I know a bug that can produce this behavior
and it's related to packages. RC5 hasn't been released yet because I
don't seem to be able to install Newt's Cape.

The best is to be sure that the card doesn't get corrupted further
when you'll do the backup. So if I were you, I'd proceed like this:
- reboot without CF card in.
- open ATA preferences.
- Insert the card. Acknowledge the alert.
- Lock the offending partition.
- Select the working partitions and mount it with the action menu
- Select the offending partition, mount it with the action menu and
immediatly press on the screen to have the do you want to activate
packages question. Say no.
- If you failed at the previous step, after it rebooted, press on the
screen and insert the card, you'll have that dialog for every
partition.
- then perform your backup of the notes soup. If you don't have any
software doing this, contact me offlist.
- also backup any other data you might have on this partition
- unmount the partition, unlock it and initialize it with the action
menu in the partition overview dialog
- reinstall packages.

Because of last step, the current build won't do it. It seems to fail
with some packages (at least Newt's Cape). If you want to test it
this new build nevertheless (for sure it fixed the data corruption
problem), drop me a line offlist.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/