Re: [NTLK] Toshiba PC Card with ATA Support

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Thu Feb 06 2003 - 13:49:59 PST

on 2/6/03 1:43 PM, Chris Lang at clang_at_power-soft.net wrote:

> Well... I was think MP3's, and books. Take a look at these two sites,
> and you will see what I mean.

    MP3s aren't something I use my Newton for. And Paul's driver is a great
idea, I was merely questioning the 5GB. As I understand it the card would
have to be partitioned and the Newton's limit is 64MB per partition. That's
nearly 80 partitions on a 5GB card.
    Each of those partitions will require heap for the Newton to know it's
there. Each (unfrozen) package on each partition will eat some more heap. I
have about 3.5MB internally and 5.2MB on a 32MB card in my 2100. This leaves
about 300K of heap for programs to play in. Much less than this and heap
intensive operations (such as internet programs) will begin to slow down.
    That we can use other cards in our Newts is great _ I'm just wondering
if really huge cards are a viable option.

Peter

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html