Re: [NTLK] Toshiba PC Card with ATA Support

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sat Feb 08 2003 - 10:02:23 PST

À (At) 21:53 +1100 8/2/03, Finn Thain écrivait (wrote) :
>On the subject of dirty hacks, if the ARM chip has an MMU (?), how about a
>heap doubler along the lines of Connectix RamDoubler? Or, even better, ATA
>backed VM?

This is feasible. I just don't think the system really needs it,
except on MP2000s. The only issue is what should happen once the ATA
card has been removed.

>Now that I think about it, convincing the OS that real memory was larger
>than physical memory would probably be very difficult after it booted. By
>the time execution left the ROM code it may be too late?

Actually, what is required is to go to supervisor mode. Currently
this isn't possible unless we design a system patch letting us go to
supervisor mode.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/