Re: [NTLK] AC adapters for automobiles

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sun Feb 09 2003 - 08:06:25 PST

>Just be careful about buying one of these. Some of the cheaper ones
>don't provide a true AC sine-wave output. They might not be a good
>thing for your Newton adapter (or Newt). It might be a better idea to
>try to find a regulated DC to DC adapter in the correct voltage and
>current rating.
>John

I agree, using any sort of generic adapter with the newtons has been
repeatedly shown to be fatal (unless you are good at repairs- did Frank
have a fix for "wrong power adapter" for both 130's and 2100's or just the
130's? I thought he posted about this, maybe it was a different fix).

If I were going to use my Newton with my car as a charging source, I'd get
a power inverter to convert DC to AC then plug a regular AC Newton power
supply into that.

Newer trucks etc. can have the inverter already built into the dash, so if
you have a laptop or whatever you just plug it in just as if you were at
home, no cigarette light adapters or anything needed.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html