Re: [NTLK] [OT] OS X httpd and DynDNS

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sun Feb 09 2003 - 14:25:20 PST

on 09/02/03 15:41, Technoir Support Corporation at technoir_at_sympatico.ca
wrote:

> sorry to the people who hate [OT]s. this is usually my last line of
> inquiry on the web=].
> i know a few people [Laurent..] on this list use the DynDNS service. i
> was hoping someone could comment on using this service to host a site
> off their Mac. My situation has me behind a Win2K adv server gateway.
> Maybe someone [Ed K.?] knows how to configure the windows ICS to
> forward the http requests to my [static private IP] Mac.
> thanks for reading

It's very easy and so far it's been working pretty well, I have absolutely
no complain. You just register with them and provide your IP address. Since
it's DynDNS, for dynamic DNS, it is mostly for people that can't be sure of
their IP address since their ISP provides them with dynamic ones. So, to
make sure that your DynDNS record is always updated, there is a DynDNS
client for OS X that runs in the background as soon as you boot the machine,
no need to be logged in. This thing monitor the external IP address you get.
As soon as it detects a change, it contacts the DynDNS server and update
your record there so that people using your public URL will always be
redirected to your machine. In my case, it was a little bit more complicated
since Verizon did shut down port 80. So, I'm listening on port 8080, but I
didn't want the people to remember my port number in my public URL, I wanted
to keep it at <http://nemesys.dyndns.org/>. So, I had to create a webhop at
DynDNS that maps to a specific URL *with* the port number, i.e.
nemesys2.dyndns.org:8080 and then this is redirected to my actual IP
address. It works pretty well, except for people behind a firewall when you
have stupid admin that turned off port 8080. But that problem isn't related
with DynDNS, so...

-Laurent.

Gates's Law: "The speed of software halves every 18 months." This oft-cited
law is an ironic comment on the tendency of software bloat to outpace the
every-18-month doubling in hardware capacity per dollar predicted by Moore's
Law. The reference is to Bill Gates; Microsoft is widely considered among
the worst if not the worst of the perpetrators of bloat.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html