[NTLK] Stuck in the Mud

From: Seth Hollander (sethhollander_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 18:59:35 PST

Well, I haven't progressed much with Cadenza. I did a search through
the NewtonTalk archive on the strange "Part 0, Type Auto" error I've
been experiencing. Sounds like it could be a million things.

In my attempts, I have observed something that probably doesn't mean
anything, but I thought I'd throw it out to the smart people on this
list.

I get that "Part 0, Type Auto" error after using NCU to install the
Cadenza package on the Newton. After the package is transferred, it
extracts something like 4 components, the last one being the
CadenzaCore. I tried to see what would happen if I installed on a
completely clean, hard reset MP 2100, and instead of getting that "Part
0, Type Auto" message, I got the following:

"Cadenza Configuration Error - Owner Info is missing or invalid.
Please refer to the Cadenza documentation for details. Fix then
re-install Cadenza."

Well, the Cadenza docs say that my Lotus Notes e-mail address should be
entered in my Owner Info. So, I enter my Lotus Notes e-mail address in
my Owner Info, and reinstalled Cadenza (I tried reinstalling over the
old one, and also after using the Cadenza Uninstall app to clean up
after itself). And now the familiar old "Part 0, Type Auto" error pops
up again.

This may not mean anything other than that Cadenza was written to look
for an e-mail address in the Owner Info before it activates CadenzaCore
on the Newton; if it doesn't find one, you get the "Owner Info missing"
error, and if it does find an e-mail address, it proceeds to attempt to
activate itself, with the unfortunate "Part 0, Type Auto" results. But
since it may means something different to those with far more technical
expertise, I thought it was worth throwing out there. Can this mean
anything?

-Seth

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html