Re: [NTLK] unna Google search doesn't work

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 03:04:58 PST

on 2/12/03 4:52 AM, Grant Hutchinson at grant_at_splorp.com wrote:

> Here's a solution I posted a while back which let's you use Google to
> search UNNA:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=newtontalk&m=103893643713905http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=newtontalk&m=103185455020410ript to search them. Here it is:
>
> And another:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=newtontalk&m=103185455020410ript to search them. Here it is:

Good links.

Your post, however, prompted my memory. I remember that in Tidbits a few
weeks ago, Adam wrote an article for creating Favorites that will prompt you
for a search string, and then automatically take you to the search results
window without the need to go to Google first, using Javascript.

I figured it couldn't be too difficult to modify, so I thought that I would
try to modify his scripts for your urls. :-) After a bunch of fiddling with
both the Tidbits article's script, and then Google's own script, and finally
modifying Victor's script that is available on UNNA, I think I have a
working script. This script will search the <de.unna.org> site, but simply
changing this part of the script to any of the other mirrors will cause the
script to search them. Here it is:

<javascript:void(q=prompt('Enter text to search using
Google.',''));if(q)void(location.href='http://www.google.com/custom?q='+esca
pe(q)+'&cof=LW%3A330%3BL%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.unna.org%2FNewtonIncLogo.gif%3BL
H%3A121%3BAH%3Acenter%3BAWFID%3Aa0bfe813865b3cae%3B&domains=www.unna.org&sit
esearch=de.unna.org')>

Disclaimer: I know nothing about Javascript, and my only knowledge of syntax
is an extensive knowledge of Hypertalk, the scripting language for
Hypercard. This means that I refuse to be responsible if this crashes, hangs
or otherwise blows up your computer. :-) That said, it works for me. Have
fun!

--
Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland