Re: [NTLK] Frozen Newton

From: This Old Newt (rich_at_thisoldnewt.net)
Date: Sat Feb 15 2003 - 05:26:50 PST

Quoting Suannp_at_aol.com:

> I'm fairly new to this list. What is the following email referring to?
> Thanks, Su

Su

This is all my opinion....... Not posted to the list yet.

Ferdi sells lots of stuff on e-bay. He seems to sometimes list ,lets say a German OS Newton as if he were living in germany. Then charges winners extreme international shipping charges. He also has found instructions on how to install your own replacement back lights from other list members web sites. He then does the upgrade and lists these on e-bay as "Rare" colored backlighted Newtons. He also sells Titanium Newton Stylus on e-bay...No such thing.
AFAIR He also seems to have sold CDR's of lots of Newton Software as a collection...They seem to be very similar to what you may find if you ripped all the files from UNNA. He does do repair work and seems to be skilled at it. He does deliver product but at extreme prices and in a ver "Used car Salesman" manner. NuB's may be very satisfied with his items but long time users know that there are much cheaper ways and places to get stuff.

Presently he seems to be searching for capital investment $$ to make clear plastic case molds of Newtons as some folks did in Japan a few years ago. He kinda passes it off as his own idea. He also tried selling "shares" of this project on e-bay. HE does not have the kits to sell. they don't exist (yet) I could imagine that if he got enough $$ to make the kits he would. Everyone who chipped in would pay him a percentage of the cost of the molds, PLUS a nice BIG profit for himself. After the initial run I don't see him refunding anyone if lots of others started to purchase it. This profit would be no problem if he presented himself to the group as a Capitalist who was doing this to make $$. (thats how NuShield started) but he seems to hide under the "community member" umbrella and lures persons into thinking he is say...like.... Victor who provides the list server and UNNA Free of cost to the community. Where anything purchased from Victor is at cost and he makes no profit. Kinda like my site also.

dat' help?

Keep the Green?

Rich
This Old Newt
www.thisoldnewt.net
Updated and Fresh Newton Information & Entertainment 1997-2003

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html