Re: [NTLK] Names Help Needed

From: DDenby_at_aol.com
Date: Sat Feb 15 2003 - 13:58:02 PST

Hi Nancy,
I am the one who posed the first problem. It seems to be resolved but a
price. I will try to answer a couple of your questions as best I can.

Doug Denby

In a message dated 2003/02/15 4:39:54 PM, nhaitz_at_earthlink.net writes:

<<
Question #2 - How does one perform a soft reset AND keep packages from
is very convenient for troubleshooting problems. I have not seen
anything about this before on the Newton. Please tell me more!

Hold the Reset button down on the back of the Newton until the reset is
started. Hold your stylis about 1 cm from the left of the screen about half
way down and a dialog will pop up asking if you want to load packages.

<<My other question has to do with the following comment from Robert.

>> There's no way to reinstall the system since it's in ROM, but this way
>> you'll bring it back to it's original state. You'll have to reenter
>> your
>> serial numbers again though, so make sure you've got them.

Question #3 - I bought my Newt used. I am clueless as to its serial
numbers. So far I have not encountered anything that tells me these
numbers. Is there some program, or something built into the system that
will disclose them?

The serial numbers I believe being referred to are the serial numbers on
purchased products like those from Standalone. As the Personal Identification
was eliminated, the serial codes based on them are also invalid and need to
be reentered after re-inputting the personal data. The Personal Data is
"Owner Info" found in the "SetUp" section of "Extras". Standalone and other
companies use the Owner Identification to create unique serial numbers for
each of their products and provide these numbers to you when you purchase
their products.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html