Re: [NTLK] Finding the mac address for an ethernet card on the Newton?

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 11:43:52 PST

on 2/17/03 3:46 PM, Robert Benschop at rbenschop_at_euronet.nl wrote:

> Very odd indeed, I always thought that the MAC address was a hardware thing,
> which seemed to be confirmed by the fact that it's often on a sticker on the
> outside.
> Seems I was wrong ;-)

I have to confess that I tried putting the second card in my wife's
computer, and it showed the same MAC address as the first card. That didn't
make sense to me, but later I realized that I probably should have restarted
the computer. I'm betting that it read the card when I first turned on
AppleTalk, but after that, it didn't check again. The two cards definitely
do not have the same mac address, but my computer thought they did. :-)

BTW, I want to thank everybody once more for your fantastic help in getting
myself ethernetified! It is absolutely fantastic plugging my Newton into the
network, and being able to backup the whole thing (including an almost full
32 meg card) in about 10 minutes or less! It used to take a half hour just
backing up my names soup! And I talked to my internet guy today. He took the
MAC number for my Newton, and said he would add it to the database, and I
could connect any time I wanted, which is nice, because they charge per
computer. I can bet he knows I won't be using it for much of anything on the
net, just sending email mostly, not even downloading. :-)

--
Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland