Re: [NTLK] [OT] HP iPAQ

From: Scott Clitheroe (scott_at_clitheroe.ca)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 19:02:05 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Ludwig" <bensisko_at_mac.com>
To: <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net>
Sent: Monday, February 17, 2003 6:52 PM
Subject: Re: [NTLK] [OT] HP iPAQ

> The biggest warning is to remember to charge it every night. You could
> probably get away with 2-3 nights without charging and casual use, but
> all of these color units have terrible battery life (and they dump your
> info if the power goes out!).

That's not really true these days - the latest iPAQs are shipping with 22
megs of flash RAM build right in. You can also turn on the "Permanent PIM",
which keeps a copy of your PIM data stored on this flash RAM. Furthermore,
the units feature a safeguard feature that will keep the unit powered off to
save juice once the battery reaches a user defined threshold (eg. If there's
only enough juice to keep the RAM intact for 25 hours, 50 hours, etc). I've
only been using my iPAQ 3970 for about two months now, and I've yet to lose
any information, or even drain the battery down below 1/3rd, and that
includes using the built in Bluetooth to surf from the couch at home.

Battery life is projected around 14 hours, and a really nifty feature to
extend the life is that you can configure the backlight to adjust to the
ambient light levels. When it's really dim or dark, you don't need much
backlight. When it's really bright (eg. in the sun), you don't really need
any, and so it will turn the backlight off. In an office environment, it
tends to keep the backlight hovering between 50% and 80% of what it can do.

-Scott

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html