[NTLK] Newt 2000 == always on

From: Jonathan Wise for NewtonTalk (newtontalk_at_jonandnic.com)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 07:04:30 PST

Help!
I got a Newton MessagePad 2000 (not upgraded), and while it works great, I do have one small issue:

The Newton stays on all the time -- unless I explicitly switch it off (which I never do). At first I thought this was nice, whenever I wanted to use it, it was ready. Then it ate through my batteries -- I had accidentally left it on, with the backlight on overnight. Neither shut itself off.

So of course, I checked the prefs, set them to 10 minutes each, and turned Newt off. Later I used the Newt to take a note, set it down, came back a half hour later and it was still on, still lit. Again I checked the prefs, and they were both set to "never". I changed them back, closed prefs and re-opened them and it was correct. So I powered down the Newt, and rechecked prefs and they were set back to "never". This time I set the prefs, and did a restart, thinking maybe I had to commit these changes somehow. But they were still set back to "never".

On, possibly a related note, if the battery dies, the Newton forgets the time. I had a 2100 before with a recharable battery, I've never had to actually put new batteries in, so I don't know if this is unusual. But this line of thinking, brought me to my Mac. It has a PROM, the equivalent of the CMOS, and it's battery (a watch type battery, like the CMOS one) is dead -- so if it's disconnected from power for a long time it forgets time and certain other settings...

Does Newton have a PROM or CMOS? Perhaps there's a dead watch type battery in my Newt somewhere that is preventing it from saving my settings? Has anyone seen this behaviour before? Can anyone suggest a fix?

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

----
visit us online at www.jonandnic.com