[NTLK] Serial interfaces (was: Re: newtontalk Digest V3 #98)

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 21:48:48 PST

À (At) 00:41 -0500 19/2/03, Victor Rehorst écrivait (wrote) :
>Not a typo. More accurately, this is serial channel 3. The Newton (2x00) has
>four (potentially) serial interfaces. #0 is the one on the dongle or SER-001
>that we all know and love. #1 and #2 are reserved for modem cards in the
>upper or lower PCMCIA slots, respectively, and #3's pins are on the
>interconnect port but has never been implemented for anything.

If you count PCMCIA cards, the MP2x00 has six serial interfaces:

Channel 0: high speed interface with modem controls and ring indicator.
Channel 1: low-speed asynchronous link for IR comms.
Channel 2: low-speed channel for printing support.
Channel 3: modem communications.
There are also the serial ports provided by the PCMCIA cards.
Interconnect Port: channel 0 @ RS422 level, channel 3 @ CMOS level.
Internal connector: channels 0, 2 & 3 @ CMOS level.

slt1 and slt2 are the identifier for the PCMCIA cards. But maybe do
slt3 and slt4 work since the MP2x00/eMate architecture supports up to
4 cards.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/