[NTLK] aaaargh

From: Karl and Kathleen Prihoda (kapri_at_cfl.rr.com)
Date: Sat Feb 22 2003 - 22:58:36 PST

I really, really want to be a Newton user, but this experience has been
a MAJOR disaster! Everyone on this forum makes this all seem so easy.
I thought that I was at least somewhat computer literate, until now. I
have managed to mess up my computer to the point that even Apple
support has given up on me and says that I should initialize my hard
drive and start over. That will be a major hassle of course. I have
been trying to accomplish a happy working relationship with my new
green "friend (foe)" for about two weeks now. My desktop has been
purring along perfectly for the last year, until I started trying to
mess with the Newton stuff.

Here is my story. Will you Newton Gurus please tell me where I went so
wrong so that I do not do it again?

- Newton 2100
- I am running a 733 mac (no Mac jokes please) 768 meg of ram
- OS 10.2.4
- Adapetc USB 2.0 PCI card
- Belkin USB to Serial Adapter
- Palm desktop 4.0

My last heartache was tonight when I tried to sync with my palm
desktop. The Newton would not connect and now my palm will not either.
  In fact, now the hotsync manager won't even launch and my palm user
file is gone. I tried to follow the directions that were posted on
<http://www.newtontalk.net/archive/newtontalk.2002-06/2425.html>
and failed miserably. I can install packages and back up files, but I
cannot synchronize!

The Belkin adapter worked to install the packages from the UNNA CD I
bought. I was able to do it in classic mode. Now the NCU pops up a
window saying that a connection cannot be made because the USB adapter
is in use. I have unplugged and rebooted still no luck.

I tried to download and install Palm desktop 2.6.3 to use in classic
mode, hoping it would work better than my already in use 4.0, no luck.

Now my computer won't go all the way to sleep and won't wake up if I
try to put it to sleep. I need to reboot it every time.

Any advice on ANY of these issues would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html