Re: [NTLK] [ANN] Nitro 0.1 - IrCOMM layer

From: Daniel Padilla (dproldan_at_telefonica.net)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 03:44:06 PST

    Only some feedback:

    I modified the BasicSerial sample code from apple (a basic terminal
application) to use the new "ircm" service. For connecting, I told it to
use the Newton's infrared port. (I suppose this is also needed to patch in
any other legacy program?)

    It succesfully connects with my windows 98SE laptop and Hyperterminal.
Woohoo!! I can send strings to and from the newton with no problems.

    It connects to my Nokia 6210, as the infrared icon on the phone stops
blinking, but it doesn't send any character. The same happens with the
patched NIE module, it connects and opens the "spy", but no strings are
received (or sent?). Note that i can use the phone with hyperterminal to
send strings.
    Looks like they both speak the same language, but maybe they're waiting
for the other to do something. I think the Newton is advertising itself as
a "PDA Palmtop", maybe changing that to "computer"?

    The cats are ok, and the wife looks happy, but you never know... :-)

    Good Job Eckhart! In a 3 KB package!!!

Daniel

Hello all,

here is a pre-alpha version of Nitro, the missing link in the Newton OS
2.1 IrDA stack:

http://40hz.org/Nitro/

It implements IrCOMM which is required for any modern day IrDA
connection. It has been tested on a US MP2100 (probably works on other
MP2x00s and eMates), using a Linux PC with an IrDA dongle as a PPP and
web server.

When you try it out, please be aware that it might crash your Newton,
format your desktop hard disk, call random numbers from your cell
phone's address book, poison the cat, burn down your house and run away
with your wife or husband. I'm working on preventing most of this.

To use IrCOMM in a meaningful way, an OBEX implementation is missing
(not too difficult) and more debugging regarding the use of cell phones
as modems is required (this only shows faint traces of working).

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html