Re: [NTLK] Newton Instant Messaging

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 09:16:23 PST

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 05:36:10PM -0800, Newtvana wrote:
> A) Not everyone responds during the day. some of us (should) wait till
> they're off work...
>
> B) Batteries drain fast when using WiFi and what's the point of having
> a Newton if it's tethered?
>
> For me, IM is not the the killer app for the Newton, as interesting as
> it is.

I'm also an IM junky though I'm more partial to IRC than any other
protocol. (Enough to have registered ChatBuddy just to have it, in
fact.) The newt's strongpoints just aren't well-suited to my style of
dealing with AIM: I idle for hours and have asynchronous converstations
with people, with an hour or two passing between messages exchanged.
Just not suited to an always-on-power-draining connection.

I'd love something like a RIM card or SMS card that could recieve and
queue messages while the newton was off though.

--
73. I will not agree to let the heroes go free if they win a rigged contest,
    even though my advisors assure me it is impossible for them to win.