Re: [NTLK] rom-swapping between 2x00/eMate and 130

From: Finn Thain (fthain_at_telegraphics.com.au)
Date: Fri Feb 28 2003 - 05:04:43 PST

> Hrm, thanks for the info. So, if that wouldn't work, what's the
> best way to go about it these days? Just hang around eBay and look
> for broken 2100s, or do the chips themselves sometimes show up? I
> couldn't find any ROMs on their own in the completed searches.

If you are really keen to put your MP130 on a LAN, you could use PPP over
a null modem cable. Our internet gateway is a g3 with a modem on one
serial port and a newton on the other. This will not get you appletalk,
but it will get you TCP/IP.

I don't know how to make NIE 1.1 connect faster than 19.2k so I don't
think it is a great solution, it's too slow to be really useful. It is
convenient though -- it's a point-and-click operation with os x to
disconnect ppp, fire up NewTen, download a package, switch on ppp again
(should you need to).

You will, of course, need a serial port on your mac that is supported by
ppp. If you are not sure, you can show network port configurations in the
network system preferences panel and check for serial devices.

With the limited RAM in the MP120, I saw spontaneous reboots with
newtscape and npds, system errors with simple mail and just general
flakeyness. But as always, YMMV. And since you have an MP130, you would
probably meet more success.

To be fair, I did manage to send an email, and browse and serve textual
web pages. As it says on mrollins.com, "But we should not criticize how
poorly the pig flies, we should be amazed that it flies at all!" Which is
not very charitable, since he was talking about an MP2100 :)

--Finn

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html