[NTLK] In the meantime, wireless at home...

From: Hans Derycke (hans_at_derycke.com)
Date: Fri Feb 28 2003 - 22:08:30 PST

While I'm waiting to get back to work on Monday, to try and fidget some=20=

more with my dial-up internet connection (I don't have a landline at=20
home), I figured I'd try to send something via my WiFi card and cable=20
modem.

My regular setup is that I use OS X's built-in Mail, via cable modem=20
service from AT&T_at_Home. But I don't send mail via AT&T's mail servers.=20=

My mail is handled by everyone.net. This works like a charm. In theory,=20=

all I need is an internet connection, doens't matter from whom, and I=20
can send mail.

Now, I configured Eudora to do the same thing, but I get the following=20=

error message:
"An error occurred. I said =93RCPT TO: <xxxx_at_yyyy.com>=94 and the server=20=

said =93554 <xxxx_at_yyyy.com>: Recipient address rejected: Relay access=20
denied=94." According to what I can find, this happens if you want to=20
send a message via mail server X, but you're not connected to X's=20
network (e.g. send something via Earthlink while connected to AT&T=20
Worldnet). This is odd, since the exact same setup works for me on my=20
desktop machine. The only thing I can think of is that everyone.net=20
requires SMTP authentication. I know I filled in the SMTP server and a=20=

password in Eudora, but does Eudora use SMTP authentication, or is the=20=

password used for something else?

Anyway, I figured I'll use something else, so I threw out Eudora, and=20
installed SimpleMail. The error I get from that is 'Server error "-ERR=20=

unimplemented"'.

I'm getting desparate that I'll ever get mail to work on my Newt. Any=20
thought on what may be going wrong here?
--=20
Hans Derycke
E pur si muove=

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html