Re: [NTLK] Software reccomendation and Surfing!

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 01 2003 - 18:47:46 EST

Probably the best app for storing secure information
is GeekSafe. I suppose it's on the net somewhere (like
unna or somewhere) If you need, I've got a copy
sitting on my download site. It's titled
geeksafe1_1.pkg on http://newton.tek-ed.com. You can
browse the site with your Newt and load the package
directly into your Newt.

As far as limitations on sites you can visit...well,
that's entirely dependant on the browser you use. But
mostly you will not be able to browse any site that
uses Flash, Java (unless it's server side Java) or
JavaScript.
Basically, any site that uses a client side scripting
environment won't be viewable on the Newt. But! sites
that use PHP, ASP, CFM are all viewable on the Newt.
As to browsers...well, these have been well documented
here, a basic overview is that there are three browser
clients, LunaSuite...buggy but supposedly good.
NewtHopper...free, fast but only for basic viewing.
Cannot view any HTML tags beyond the basics. (HTTP1.0
only) this means, no frames, no tables, and such. Then
there's Newtscape. This has all the bells and
whistles. It's supposedly compatible with later
versions of HTTP, plus it does many other things...see
documentation for details. Downside? According to what
I've read, it's slow and has a weird interface that
requires a learning curve.

Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Ted Ramsden <tramsden_at_shaw.ca> wrote:

> First off, I need some suggestions for a program
> that will store membership
> numbers and passwords. I have aprox. 24 different
> numbers I have to store
> along with phone numbers and passwords !
>
> Secondly, I have never surfed or used email on my
> newt, can someone email
> me back with the type of sites you can browse, and
> the limitations of the
> 2100 when surfing the net ! I have both an ethernet
> card and a 33.6 modem
> and all the proper drivers installed and up and
> running !
>

> Thks
>
> Happy new year
>
> Ted

=====
May every SPAM you receive magically come true.
 -Spencer F. Katt; eWeek magazine