Re: [NTLK] midi on the newt - MODPlayer code fork

From: Glen Warner (gdwarner_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Jan 01 2003 - 23:36:46 EST

Jim Witte <jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us> wrote:

(*snip*)

> Long ago, I looked into how the MOD file structure was organized,
> and as I remember a lot of it is mostly the same. MIDI is more
> complicated becuase it allows more channels (8 or more [?] vs 4)
> and I think that all notes in one channel of a MOD file may
> have to be arranged together in the file (though I could be wrong).

Well, I don't know about MIDI being more complicated than the mod
format ... sure, the mod only has four channels ... but things have
changed considerably in this arena: mods can now have as many as 256
channels (though fortunately, no one is crazy enough to write
something that takes advantage of this fact).

With the change in the number of channels came changes in the name of
the format: .s3m, .IT, .mdm, etc.

> Is there any provision in MODPlayer for inputing you own sample
data
> for instrument tones?

Nope, it's a mod PLAYER. You'll need PlayerPRO or MacMod Pro (on the
Mac) Impulse Tracker or ModPlug Tracker (on the PC). Once you've
written your song, you'll have to run through those daunting
instructions (couldn't this be done with AppleScript?) to convert it
to a package to play it on your Newt. Good luck with this one.

Finally, you can find the alt.binaries.sounds.mods FAQ here:

http://www.modplug.com/modfaq/index.html

There should be links to the above-mentioned programs therein (though
the MacMod Pro link doesn't work at all ...).

> Jim

--gdw

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html