Re: [NTLK] Software reccomendation and Surfing!

From: Newtvana (newton_at_ordersomewherechaos.com)
Date: Fri Jan 03 2003 - 03:57:43 EST

On Friday, January 3, 2003, at 12:04 AM, Martin Joseph wrote:
> On Thursday, January 2, 2003, at 11:47 Hi!, Newtvana wrote:
>> Ed, do you know if this interferes with the delivery of Mac OS X .pkg
>> files?
>>
> <snip>
> This is a server side setting so it has nothing to do with Mac OSX
> package files...

Actually it is a server side setting. Many browsers rely on the the MIME
type that the server sends out in the HTTP header to establish the file
type of the incoming data stream. The server often establishes that MIME
type by looking at the .ext extension of the file it's about to send.

Since the server would send one MIME type for Newton packages that end
in ".pkg" but another MIME type for Mac OS X Packages that have
filenames ending in ".pkg", I'm wondering how this is resolved on the
server.

...Ross...

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html