Re: [NTLK] Mezzanine Memory Board?

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Sat Jan 04 2003 - 18:19:34 EST

> sticker) is a special MP2x00 ROM card. It has an intel flash chip,
> and that means that it probably can give your newton a few more MB of
> internal storage memory. One of the rarest things in newtonland.

   I had thought of this a while ago: as Paul has said, the amount of
actual DRAM the Voyager can access (at least not without massive
bank-switching type writes to the memory manager that would most
certainly be impossible) is limited to 4MB by the number of address
lines. But apparently, can't the Newton access a much larger amount of
Flash ROM? (8-16MB?) Since it's *flash* ROM, and can apparently
somehow be reflashed without removing the ROM board, could the ROM
chips be replaced with SRAM chips (or DRAM with circuitry to keep it
refreshed)? Is this what the Mezzanine card does, along with having
modified ROM routines in order to access this 'ROM' as RAM?

Jim

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html