Re: [NTLK] "Always On" wireless email?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 00:47:57 EST

All the "wireless" mail/pager services are now no
longer in business. AllPoints card (the one with the
gold antenna) used Wyndmail software and the RAM (now
BellSouth) packet system or the now owned by American
Mobile Satellite system ARDIS system. Both no longer
supporting the Newt. There was also the two pager
services, the MobileCom pager card for the Newt (this
card also worked good in the Simon phone from
IBM/Mitsubishi) And the Socket pager card. Neither of
these were two way cards. Motorola also made a CDPD
card that was never really supported and I only saw it
in action once at the 1997 Wireless convention in
Atlanta...the LA bicycle police were going to deploy
Newtons to bicycle cops using the CDPD system that
AT&T (the last hold out) eventually dropped last year.

I had conversations with the guys who developed the
Wynd software and the CDPD stuff in 1998, but both
were reluctant to release the software citing Apple
NDAs that basically tied their hands. The last thing
they wanted wsa to get tangled up with Apple's
lawyers. Needless to say, Any of the wireless systems
that existed when the Newt was out is now no longer
around. Remember that the Newt was a device that was
out in the early 90's and with the way the technology
changes, there's nothing around now that was around
then...even the Newton...
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Wesley Walls <wwalls_at_mac.com> wrote:

> Peter,
>
> I assume that you mean the service is no longer
> supported (rather than
> the card)? I've never heard of WyndMail - not that
> it matters now
> anyway!
>
> Thanks,
> Wesley
>
> On Saturday, January 4, 2003, at 11:51 PM, Peter
> Cameron wrote:
>

> > on 1/4/03 11:10 PM, Wesley Walls at wwalls_at_mac.com
> wrote:
> >> Is there a wireless PC Card for "always-on" radio
> signal
> > There was. The Allpoints card worked with the
> Newton on the
> > WyndMail
> > system.
> > It's not supported any more.
> >
> > Peter

=====
May every SPAM you receive magically come true.
 -Spencer F. Katt; eWeek magazine