[NTLK] An Ethernet dilemma ...

From: russbravo_at_lineone.net
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 11:27:09 EST

Hi all

I continue to be hugely helped by Newtontalk - a big thanks from the UK =
to people like Victor, Mark Ross and many others who have helped out, =
given advice and generally provided a great service to the Newton =
community.

I'm attempting to get my upgraded 2000 linked up with ethernet, but have =
encountered a bit of a Catch 22 problem. Essentially, I don't have a =
dongle or a SER-001 to connect my 2000 to either my iMac (USB) or my =
Power Mac 7300 (serial). I had hoped ethernet (thanks to Simon Muller =
for the 3Com 3CCE589ET card and cable) would solve my problem, but I =
can't get all the packages I need into the 2000.

Here's why: my method for getting items onto my 2000 is either
a - on a memory card
b - by beaming

You see, I get software via my eMate, which I connect to the PowerMac =
with a serial cable, and to the iMac via a Keyspan USB to 9-pin adaptor. =
So far, so good. I've got NIE 2 plus the 3Com driver and patch, plus =
Newton Devices etc across via card, but enetsup.pkg will not play ball. =
It won't allow itself to be saved onto a card, only onto the internal =
store - and it won't allow itself to be beamed. So I can get it onto my =
eMate, but not onto my 2000. Aaaaaarrrgh!

Is the only way out of this to get a dongle or an SER-001?

Dazed and confused

Russ

- - - - -
Occasional tables - what are they the rest of the time?
- - - - -

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html