Re: [NTLK] IrDA Progress

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sun Jan 12 2003 - 16:27:57 EST

On Sunday, January 12, 2003, at 11:04 , Paul Guyot wrote:

> The packet size is known if you access the driver with the C++ Newton
> Communication Stack bindings instead of the NewtonScript ones. I sent
> a sample code to Robert Ellison eons ago. It's probably lying
> somewhere on my hard drive. Do you want it?

Yep, won't hurt. I've got my stuff in C++ already, it was easier than I
thought.

> Are you sure that TinyTP doesn't work on the Newton? Dock uses TinyTP
> as far as I recall.

Interesting! From what I've seen, there is only IrLMP, e.g. much of the
documentation refers to TinyTP as something they wanted to do in the
future. Also, from looking at the packets, there was not sign of TinyTP
(it should be visible in the IrLMP connect frame where it adds a byte
for the flow control). The Dock requests the device "Docker" over IrLMP,
might be 3-wire-raw (everything has to fit into a frame, no flow
control).

> (geez, if you wrote a larger IrDA stack for MacOS
> X with TinyTP & LMP, we'd be able to Dock on X, I have the
> specifications on my hard drive ;)

I thought that IrDA (IrCOMM) should at least work with MacOS X and
IrDA-equipped PowerBooks... maybe with a bit tweaking, that stack can be
retrofitted onto a serial port? On the other hand, it looks like
somebody was crazy enough to port the Linux IrDA stack to Windows 2000!

> Very probably. The hard part will be to register the port, but it is
> much easier than designing the MP3 codec.

I was looking at the Modem driver example of the PCMCIA DDK and saw that
the actual driver implements TSerialChip, registers with the Nameserver
and that's it.

Eckhart

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html