Re: [NTLK] moving data to 16MB card

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 15:06:49 EST

On 14/01/03 14:09, "Ed Dyer" <edyer_at_allcovered.com> wrote:

> Newts,
> So I got one of those 16MB deals mentioned a week or so ago, works=20
> great...but how do I move Newtscape and such to the card? My Newt is=20
> running DOG slow to load pages and such, practically hanging for=20
> minutes, with (I assume) the lack of cache space available.
> How do I:
> 1. Move the data
> 2. Speed up web browsing

Do you have a card currently? If so, do a full backup with NCU and then
restore whatever was on your old card onto your new 16 MB card.

If you don't have a card, then I guess you'll have to use Extras. Go to the
'Unfiled icons', then you'll have to tap on the NewtsCape icon and keep the
pen down until you hear the "screech" sound. Then, tap the little envelope
button at the bottom right. You'll be presented with a dialog that will
offer you the choice of filing that icon in internal memory (where it should
already be) or to your card, using the name you have to your card.

Then, you'll have to switch to the Storage folder in Extras. The selection
technique is a little bit different here. Instead of tapping the icon and
holding the pen, you'll have to put the pen down between 2 icons and wait
for the "screech" sound. Then, drag the pen over the items you want to
modify. Select any icon that ends with "NewtsCape", there should be at least
3 of them. Then, you can tap the little envelope button. File as necessary.

-Laurent.

firebottle n.obs.: A large, primitive, power-hungry active electrical
device, similar in function to a FET but constructed out of glass, metal,
and vacuum. Characterized by high cost, low density, low reliability,
high-temperature operation, and high power dissipation. Sometimes mistakenly
called a `tube' in the U.S. or a `valve' in England; another hackish term is
glassfet.