Re: [NTLK] Newt <-> PC connection

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 22:47:06 EST

on 14/01/03 22:38, guillaume at pixelhaus_at_sympatico.ca wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance, but "running several instances" doesn't register, how do
> i run several instances?

> --- Replying to Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net) ---
>
>> ahhh.. i see, reminds me of the same kind of application i sometime have to
>> use to play old DOS games in CGA/EGA mode, slow down your machine because
>> otherwise you won't see the evil dudes flying towards you (at warp speed)..
>>
>> unfortunately, the links this guy lists are dead; searching on google did
>> bring it up but mentions it's useless to load this thing on anything faster
>> than 700 mhz. damn, i'm at 1.5 ghz, and it's my only machine at home (i do
>> have my old 650 mhz sony laptop, but sony in all its wisdom, decided to trash
>> the serial ports to force me to get a port replicator, which i didnt get).
>>
>> setting my serial ports to lower speeds (2400, 4800?) won't do it, eh?
>

> No, but you can run several instances of SlowDown. Plus, if you get the
> latest version, I believe there are settings where you can adjust the amount
> of 'slowessness'...
>

> -Laurent.

I dunno because I don't do Windows myself, but I often read those comments
from Windows users and that's what they were reporting. You could maybe try
to search the NewtonTalk archive for 'slowdown'. I'm sure you'll find plenty
of messages.

-Laurent.

brute force adj.: Describes a primitive programming style, one in which the programmer relies on the computer's processing power instead of using his or her own intelligence to simplify the problem, often ignoring problems of scale and applying naive methods suited to small problems directly to large ones. The term can also be used in reference to programming style: brute-force programs are written in a heavyhanded, tedious way, full of repetition and devoid of any elegance or useful abstraction (see also brute force and ignorance).