[NTLK] How to get the titled border for protorollitems

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sat Jan 18 2003 - 23:13:05 EST

Hi all,

could someone PLEASE tell me how I can make a protoRollBrowser look the way
it is shown in EVERY single programmers guide and reference there is? Like, for example,
in Apple's Programmer's Guide, page 6-36, Figure 6-45: A protoRollBrowser example??
I get my protoRollItems, but I can't get the titled border around them. I have searched
the net and found that there is some ancient Apple demo code called PreeferMadness
that is supposed to outline how to do this. I only found it in a .sea.hqx compressed format
which I can't extract on my PC. Would some kind soul please send me this source code
or tell me how to get that titled border? Obviously there are two versions of this sample code,
I need the one that will work with os 1.x devices.
I have found a workaround by adding a viewSetupDoneScript and a viewDrawScript to each
protoRollItem, but this is clumsy at best because it would have to be done with every single
protoRollItem in this protoRollBrowser.
I tried creating a custom proto that contains nothing but a protoRollItem and the two methods,
but it appears I can't use it in the protoRollBrowser's rollItems array. If I do (in this array)
something like

{_proto: protoTitledRollItem,
 height: 50,
 overview: "General",
 viewBounds: {left: 0, top: 0, bottom: 50, right: 0},
 viewChildren: [
  {_proto: protoTextButton,
   viewBounds: {left: 5, top: 5, right: -5, bottom: -5},
   viewJustify: vjParentFullH + vjParentFullV,
   buttonClickScript: func() begin
   end,
   text: "Blabla"
  }
 ]
}

this compiles fine, but I get Path overview<information not available> failed
 Error -48204

when I start the application on the Newton.

I have the impression that I would have to create an instance of this new proto? With
NTK this is probably done by adding it to a layout. Unfortunately, protoRollItems are
never added to any layout, they are just typed into the rollItems slot of their browser...

Aaaarghhhh... Why did I ever start Newton programming... Let alone at 5 in the morning.

Going to sleep now.

Thanks

Frank

-- Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de