Re: [NTLK] upgrade questions

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jan 19 2003 - 16:25:05 EST

I don't have a Mac, but I do read this list
religiously and most of these have been covered, so:
1) yes, but you will need a USB to Serial box. I think
that the Belkin one works the best.

2) No. There is no way to convert.

3) eBay

4) Well, this can be a long and drawn out answer, but
suffice it to say that the best way is to use some
kind of Natting Router or a Proxy server to serve
internal IPs to your inside machines to then route to
the single IP you're going to get from your provider.
Essentially, you get one IP from your DSL provider.
You will also have a DSL router from your provider as
well. You will need to have a hub. Load all the
ethernet stuff on your Newt. Plug in the ethernet card
and hook it up to the hub, hook your Mac to the hub
and hook your DSL router to the hub as well. Now, get
some kind of proxy software to run on the Mac. In your
Newton, point the proxy to your Mac and you're done.

This is probably the easiest way. Otherwise, you can
sign up for business class DSL and request an
additional IP for your Newt.
Ed
web/gadget guru
come and see my Newt on the web (well, mostly) at:
http://65.84.243.167

--- Tad Crohn <t.crohn_at_attbi.com> wrote:

> Dear fellow Newton users,
>
> I would appreciate any help with the following:
>
> 1. I bought an iMac. Is there any hope of using
> Newton Connection
> Utilities on my MP2100 with it and if so, how?
>
> 2. Is there any way to connect to a modern printer?
> I have a Canon 520
> inkjet that only has a USB port.
>
> 3. Anyone heard of a good place to buy some 30 mb
> cards?
>
> 4. Is there any way to connect a Newton to a DSL
> line?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Tad Crohn
> tadcrohn_at_attbi.com

=====
May every SPAM you receive magically come true.
 -Spencer F. Katt; eWeek magazine