Re: [NTLK] Ethernet dilemma - part 2

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 19:42:40 EST

>Except ... I'm now finding the Newt can't find my Mac. As stated before, =
>I'm connecting to a 7300 PowerMac via ethernet, using a 3Com 3CCE589ET =
>card. I've checked that Appletalk on the Mac is correctly assigned to =
>ethernet, and I think I've got my ethernet set-up on the Newt right.
>The only thing I'm not sure about is that in Internet Setup I'm not =
>being offered the EXACT card that I have - the choices I'm being given =
>are Farallon Enet PC Card, Megahertz 589D, Megahertz 589 DT and =
>Megahertz 589E. At the moment, I've selected the final one as it's =
>closest, but shouldn't I get a 589ET option?

Russ,

were you able to figure that out? And, for the rest of you, what might I be doing
wrong?

I recently bought two of Simon's 3Com 3CCE589ET cards, and I can't get
either to work. A 3Com 3C589C EtherLink III card works fine, same cable,
same Newton, same Mac.
If I plug the card in, it is recognized as Megahertz 589X, Manufacturer: 3Com,
TP/BNC LANPC card. There is a "use this card for AppleTalk" checkbox which
I check.

I have the following installed:

1) Inetenbl.pkg, appears in Extras as Newton Internet (version 2.0, tapping says it's active)
2) Newtdev.pkg, appears in Extras as Newton Devices (version 1.0)
3) Enetsup.pkg, appears in Extras as NIE Ethernet Module (version 2.0, tapping says it's active)
4) Inetstup.pkg, appears in Extras as Internet Setup
5) FarallonEthernet.pkg, in Extras appears as Farallon Enet
6) 3comaddon.pkg, in Extras appears as z33ComDrv:cli
7) 3c589.pkg , appears in Extras as 3C589

As I can connect with the other card, the cable and the Mac must be ok. But
I can't switch the Mac's AppleTalk to Ethernet when the Mac is connected
to the 3CCE589ET card.
Which entry am I supposed to use in the prefs and the internet setup? I've
the following choices in Internet Setup and Prefs - AppleTalk:

3Com 3C589PC Card
3Com 3C589DPC Card
Farallon Enet PC Card
Megahertz 589D
Megahertz 589DT
Megahertz 589E

Is the order in which the packages are installed important?

Thanks

Frank

-- Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html