Re: [NTLK] Newton Newbie (second time round)

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 14:50:49 EST

On 22/01/03 14:32, "Tim Myers" <tim.myers_at_sunplan.com> wrote:
[snip!]
> First question, can I get a replacement touchscreen element from
> anywhere? Maybe someone has a dead 2100 in the UK I could buy from them
> for the touchscreen element?

Yes, Calvin Grier is selling touchscreen replacements. The nice thing is
that you can choose what color you want for the backlight. Now, for some
reason, when I try to access www.adago.net, I get an unknown host. Don't
know what happened. I was able to find a cached version of that page on
Google at
<http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:QW3T7tNV1p4C:www.adago.net/+mp2000+rep
lacement+screen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8>.

If Calvin is reading this, he could maybe shed some light

> Second question, I've heard various mentions of things like OutLink to
> synchronise with my MS Outlook address book - what's the definative
> answer to this, I believe the company who made the Outlook link softwrae
> are either out of business, or don't sell it anymore, and it's only
> available as a demo.

Don't know as I don't do Windows.

> Thirdly, the battery pack that came with the 2100 was completely dead, I
> couldn't get any charge on it even if I used an external charger. I've
> split it open to replace the cells, does anyone know the capacity?
> 1200mAH tagged NiMh AA cells are easy to get hold of here in the UK, are
> these going to charge in my Newt?

All info about refurbishing a battery pack can be found on the master's web
site Frank Gruendel at <http://www.pda-soft.de/mp2k_battery_pack.html>.

-Laurent.

brain dump n.: [common] The act of telling someone everything one knows
about a particular topic or project. Typically used when someone is going to
let a new party maintain a piece of code. Conceptually analogous to an
operating system core dump in that it saves a lot of useful state before an
exit. "You'll have to give me a brain dump on FOOBAR before you start your
new job at HackerCorp." See core dump (sense 4). At Sun, this is also known
as `TOI' (transfer of information).