Re: [NTLK] Dead Newt

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sat Jan 25 2003 - 20:01:41 EST

> I've tried all of Frank Gruendel's resets at
> http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00_disassemble.html and haven't had luck yet
> reviving my upgraded MP 2000, though I'm still waiting to see if
> removing the batteries for an extended period of time does the trick.

Definitely something you should try. There seems to be no acknowledged
definition of "extended", I have heard of cases where the Newton needed
to be left alone for a week or more. Also, it might be a good idea to
open the Newton (remove just the four screws to get the bottom off), take out the
ROM board, clean its contacts with alcohol or a pencil eraser and put it
back in.

>Just after the second backup and synch, I got some
>error I don't recall, something about an internal error, and then I
>think I tried the reset button. The screen went blank, and hasn't been
>seen since (I'm not entirely certain of the sequence after the error
>message - it was late). I wonder if the batteries were overcharged
>somehow?

No. If they worked during the backup and sync, all that could have
happened was their voltage dropping which wouldn't kill the Newton.
Actually, it is in my unimportant opinion impossible to get so much
voltage into a NiMH cell that it would kill the Newton. Let alone in
four of them.

>The only other thing I can suspect is that for some reason, I caught a
>static shock touching I think the upper corner of the Newt, where the
>protective rubber has worn off.

The rubber does not shield against static electricity, it just shields against
Newtons slipping from their owners hands. And you would very likely
have felt a static shock that was able to kill your Newton quite strongly...

If you can't revive it, let me know. I have a couple of working 2100 mainboards
here, maybe we can work something out.

Good luck!

Frank

-- Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de