Re: [NTLK] Best way to fix jaggies?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sun Jan 26 2003 - 09:27:33 PST

on 26/01/03 12:15, MM at mm_at_abasurf.ch wrote:

> Jaggies are caused by a deformation (twist) of the upper plastic case half.
> It is especially the right long side of the case, which is sort of weaker
> due to the lid mechanism. Its long edge is pressing constantly onto the
> screen and fools the pen digitizer. I removed at both jaggied MP2kx the
> upper case half and the jaggies disappeared and reappeared after remounting.
> Then I removed about 0.2mm of the edge with a milling machine and cleaned
> and remounted everything and the two Newtons are now cured and work fine
> since that modification. Instead of a milling machine a nice scraping tool
> or a Dremel hand engraving machine would probably do as well. The bad thing
> is that one has to take apart EVERYTHING of the Newton - I needed about 4
> hours for all of my experiments and the repair.

Thank you, Marco!

If this is the definitive answer, then this should be added to the FAQ and
other various places. So the theory of running a thin business card along
the edge was maybe not that much of a fairytale, after all...

-Laurent.

choke v.: 1. [common] To reject input, often ungracefully. "NULs make System
V's lpr(1) choke." "I tried building an EMACS binary to use X, but cpp(1)
choked on all those #defines." See barf, gag, vi. 2. [MIT] More generally,
to fail at any endeavor, but with some flair or bravado; the popular
definition is "to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory."
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html