Re: [NTLK] Best way to fix jaggies

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sun Jan 26 2003 - 10:24:47 PST

>> What is the BEST way to fix the jaggies, for good?

As yet nobody has found the ultimate source. What worked for some
did not work for others.

> I think that my problem is beyond the simple hard reset,
> air blowing, business card sweep, or ribbon cleaning.

Have you tried all this?

Laurent answered:

> It seems that the best way to fix them is to open your Newton and then clean
> the contacts between the ribbon cable and the motherboard.

This might in fact help. But since in order to clean the contacts you will have
to disassemble 2 thirds of the Newton anyway, you can do the other third
too, this would allow you to properly clean the display of any stuff the
business card doesn't get out of the way.

Laurent said:

> There is nothing
> to securely hold the cable to the motherboard, just the pressure of the
> screen above when the 2 parts of the case are held together.

This is wrong. The screen is pressed down on the cable with screws

7 and 8 ( see http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00_disassembly20large.jpg
or http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00_disassemble.html to get the complete
picture).

Good luck!