Re: [NTLK] PowerBook IrDA adapter that works with a Newt?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Tue Jan 28 2003 - 07:20:13 PST

Quoting Donald Wilson <marchie_at_mac.com>:
> Hey COOL!
>
> That's the first one I've seen that is built for use with Macs, and it
> has OS X drivers even!
>
> Now all we have to do is get a Package installer in OS X to use the
> IrDA, and we're set. NewTen might do it already, depending on how the
> driver is setup.

Hrm. I don't think this will work with NewTen (which uses UnixNPI for its
package-installing) out of the box. UnixNPI implements a straight MNP serial
connection, and I don't think this is what the Newton expects on the IR line.
  I believe there is some handshaking that has to be done in the third layer
of the IrLMP sandwich in order to have the Mac tell the Newton that yes, it
provides the Newton Dock service. But if Eckhart comes out with a nice,
unencumbered IrCOMM implementation on the Newton side, we could probably use
that to build a new IR-based dock transport.

Of course, I'm purely speculating. Right now my biggest concern is tracking
down the digest missing-table-of-contents-entry bug in eCartis.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html