Re: [NTLK] so we have a Dock port... now what?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Tue Jan 28 2003 - 12:30:03 PST

Quoting Donald Wilson <marchie_at_mac.com>:

> Ok, so we have a IANA port for The Newton Dock protocol...
>
> Now what can we do with that? Use it over the Internet?

It just gives the protocol an officialy designated port number. HTTP, for
example, is the protocol that is used to transfer data to your web browser.
HTTP is assigned TCP port 80, so that's the port that all HTTP (web) servers
listen for requests to, and the port all web browsers assume when you type
"http://www.newtontalk.net/".

When the Desktop Connection Library becomes more usable (ie. POSIX file
browsing) this will become more useful, like, say, running a Newton Dock
protocol server connected to the UNNA archive (use Dock/Connection's built-in
file browser to browse the archive and install packages via TCP/IP).

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html