Re: [NTLK] so we have a Dock port... now what?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Tue Jan 28 2003 - 17:21:11 PST

Grant Hutchinson wrote:
> In a previous message, Victor Rehorst typed vigorously:
>

>>When the Desktop Connection Library becomes more usable (ie. POSIX file
>>browsing) this will become more useful, like, say, running a Newton Dock
>>protocol server connected to the UNNA archive (use Dock/Connection's built-in
>>file browser to browse the archive and install packages via TCP/IP).
>

> Crap, that's a cool idea Victor! I hadn't thought of anything nearly that
> sweet. Could the Dock Protocol Server be written in Java like the NPDS
> Tracker server?

Uhh, well, any such thing would depend on the DCL, which is being written in
C, with initial target platforms being OSX, other *nixes, and Win32. So I
don't think it'll be in Java, but there shouldn't be any problems with running
it on the UNNA servers (which run various flavours of UNIX: Solaris, FreeBSD,
OpenBSD, and Linux.)

I did mention this idea before, and I think that Paul came up with it
initially a loooong time ago:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=newtontalk&m=103957922517457&w=2

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html