Re: [NTLK] FTP into UNNA?

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 05:59:36 PST

on 1/30/03 3:03 AM, Robert Benschop at rbenschop_at_euronet.nl wrote:

>> It is extremely annoying when a person familiar with Unix gives a terse
>> (and unusable) response as follows (below). It took me quite awhile,
>> many years ago, to figure out how to use Unix because every Unix person
>> told me to use the man pages. Which are pretty unhelpful.
>
> Ironically Patrick's comment made go into Terminal, past 'man curl' and
> press return, and lo and behold, a full explanation.

Actually, I've found the 'man' pages quite helpful -- IF you know what
command you need! If you don't know the name of the command that you need
to learn about, then 'man' is (obviously) useless. Admittedly, the last
time I did Unix was on a Silly-G about 5 years ago, so maybe documentation
has advanced, but I always thought 'man' needed a good topical index.

[Geez, there's got to be a joke or three in here about asking for directions
and the fact these are 'man' pages...]

- Eric.

Bioweapons?  HA!  I laugh at them!!  *I've* cleaned the coffee urns
at work!!!!
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html