Re: [NTLK] AC adapter without battery-- should it work

From: Scott Girard (sgirard_at_bigsea.com)
Date: Wed Jul 02 2003 - 07:03:02 PDT

Hi Frank:

I tested the AC adapter with a voltmeter, and I am getting just under 3
amps and about 7 volts DC.

Here's the part I can't explain: today I can remove the ac adapter
from the Newton and the Newton continues to run. I can also start the
Newton with the battery pack removed (while connected to the AC
adapter). So today, it seems to be working fine.

The only thing I can think that might have changed is that I wiggled
the prongs on the AC adapter yesterday to get the Newton to recognize
the AC adapter (I was running under battery power at the time and I
watched for the Newton to "see" the AC adapter). I wonder if there was
some oxidation on the AC adapter prong connections (inside the AC
adapter) that was preventing good contact on the terminals. The AC
adapter does not show any obvious oxidation on the outside, but I had
not used it in several years, and that may have caused the connections
inside the AC adapter to become oxidized.

Does that sound plausible? Or do you think my AC adapter is going bad?

Thanks, Scott

On Monday, June 30, 2003, at 03:28 PM, Frank Gruendel wrote:

>> Is it not possible to run the Newton using the AC adapter only without
>> a battery installed? Or will the Newton only work if a battery or
>> battery tray is in the device?
>
> The Newton 2x00 works fine with only the ac adapter or only the battery
> connected. What you describe sounds like
>
> a) a dead power adapter or
> b) A defect on the 2x00's mainboard.
>
> Can you test the power adapter with a voltmeter or with
> another Newton? Also, please excuse the question, are you sure the ac
> outlet is working?
>
> I have some 2100 mainboards I could be talked into parting with.
> Let me know if you can't get it fixed and you are interested.
>
> Frank
>
> -- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de

BigSea Inc.
2201 Red Fox Trail